Head home Jump to Skillspassport

Discover your future in Hospitality and Tourism

Your next team member awaits...
Is Tourism your game? Take the plunge!
Get your hospitality career cooking!!
Is Tourism your game? Take the plunge!

Get your hospitality career cooking!!

Your next team member awaits...
CAREERS

Queensland Hotel & Hospitality School graduates fast-tracked into jobs




A partnership between TAFE Queensland and The Star Entertainment Group, the school was launched in 2015 to train the state’s next generation of five and six-star hospitality workers.

The school is helping build a pipeline of future tourism workers ahead of the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane project that will require 8000 operational roles, amidst a shortage of hospitality workers in Queensland. Of the graduates employed, nearly 30 per cent are now employed by The Star Entertainment Group, while the remaining 70 per cent have been employed by the wider industry.

As one of the first 14 students who graduated from the school last year, 20-year-old Richard Tidswell today works as a food and beverage attendant at The Star Entertainment Group’s Treasury Brisbane property.

“The past year working for Treasury Brisbane has been great for my career – I’ve grown more confident in my barista and bartending skills, but also in being able to interact and develop relationships with customers,” Tidswell said.

TAFE Queensland CEO Jodi Schmidt said the school was leading the charge to prepare Queensland’s workforce for the thousands of new jobs expected in the coming years, including the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

“The results after the first 12 months are fantastic and demonstrate how our school can give students an edge, especially through the work experience they receive with leading industry employers like The Star Entertainment Group,” Schmidt said.

Queensland Hotel & Hospitality School currently offers three different types of programs: International Hospitality Service Program, culinary arts apprenticeships or front-of-house apprenticeships.

The Star Entertainment Group managing director and CEO Matt Bekier said the one-year anniversary is an important milestone ahead of significant tourism infrastructure projects in South East Queensland, including its Jupiters Gold Coast and Queen’s Wharf Brisbane developments.

“We’re delighted with the great outcomes the school is achieving, and how the employment gained by graduates in the wider industry shows the value these courses are bringing,” Bekier said.

“We look forward to achieving even bigger numbers in the years to come as our company, and industry, continues to grow and transform.”
This story appeared in Open House Magazine


work for your dream
CAREERS

HTN - Peter Howard Culinary Scholarship

HTN Apprentices can “self-nominate” by creating a video submission

Read more...

CAREERS

Commercial Cooking and Hospitality: Looking Ahead in 2017

In the heavily subjective spaces of cookery and hospitality, riding the trends is as important as setting them. Let's look ahead to what's next.

Read more...

HTN
CAREERS

Restaurant Australia: ICC Sydney

ICC Sydney offers world class catering for events

Read more...

RecruitmentDay-460
CAREERS

Looking for guaranteed work? Aspire is for you!

How does a guaranteed placement into some of Australia's best kitchens sound to you? Then this could be the perfect opportunity for you!

Read more...

CAREERS

Careers in tourism

With the whole world at your disposal, it’s no surprise that the tourism industry offers endless opportunities. At William Angliss Institute, you can channel your interests and strengths into a dream job that will never feel like work.

Read more...

NSW Seafood Survey - can you help?
CAREERS

Tourism at TAFE NSW

Are you excited by the wonders of the world? Studying a travel and tourism course

Read more...

CAREERS

QTIC Tourism Indigenous Employment Champions Network

The QTIC Tourism Indigenous Employment Champions Network, supported by The Star Entertainment Group, aims to support tourism employers to recruit and retain Indigenous employees. The Network is a group of volunteer tourism operators that have exhibited best practice in the recruitment and retention of Indigenous employment.

Together with the Champions, QTIC have developed a range of resources for tourism operators, presented at numerous industry conferences, facilitated industry forums, provided tourism industry career path information to Indigenous students and job seekers, and identified Indigenous employment placements within the industry.

Click on image below.

image020

CAREERS

Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management at TAFE QLD

Build a career in an exciting industry at TAFE QLD

Read more...